Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Proposal - Written by my Husband

     It didn't take but a day to know that I was in love with Monique and that I could not be without her. She is an incredible spirit that literally changed my life for the better.  A good friend of mine asked me it I was sure.  And I had no doubt at all that I was sure.  I told him that when you know, you know.  It is an unbelievable feeling that just comes over you. So I worked up the courage and decided to ask her to marry me.  I picked the place to propose to Monique.  She would always tell me during her rides, her favorite view was of Sawtooth Mountain on the Peak to Peak Hwy.  
     So I planned a day of it on March 9th. It started out by us taking a morning drive to Peaceful Valley, which is next to her favorite view.  This is the spot I had planned on the big question.  I was nervous and sweating.  Sweating, it was below freezing that day and I still produced the sweat.   We stopped on the side of the road to take in the sights of Sawtooth Mountain.  But that morning the clouds had completely covered the mountain making the view not as desirable.  And I could not ask her until the view was perfect.  
I could not ask her without her Mountain showing in the background.  We chose to get some lunch in Nederland.  We had pizza, which caused me to have huge heartburn.  With my stomach already a mess, this was a great choice.  After a couple of hours, we drove to Monique's favorite view and again.  When we got there, the clouds had moved on the view was incredible.  
     There we were, on the side of the road staring at the mountain.  It was my moment to ask but it did not come out.  The cars driving by distracted me.  Plus, I felt asking her on the side of the road was not romantic.  Now I had to think on the fly.  There was a dirt road where we were parked that lead to the Peacefully Valley Ranch's Mountain Top Wedding site.  
     It was perfect, except for the 3 feet of snow we trekked to get to it.  We finally got there and what an even better view.  So there we were, walking around the site, taking in the view and watching Monique, gorgeous as always, enjoy being where she loves it most....Outdoors!  I knew this was the place to ask her.  We were out there for probably 30 minutes and I kept chickening out.  
It was so cold and windy we decided to leave and I still haven't asked.  My time was running out.  Before we left the house that day, I put the ring in my left pocket of my fleece jacket.  We were walking out and I took Monique and held her.  Blocking her from the wind and my heart was pumping.  
     My plan was to get her to reach into my pocket and grab the camera.  There I was, working up the courage to put the plan in action and boom....Monique puts her hands in my pockets to keep them warm.  Talk about game time and no turning back.
       I knew when she felt the ring box because she stopped and looked at me.  She asked what that was and pulled out the box.  She literally gasped when she saw it.  I had this speech and plan in my head but when she gasped I stuttered through it.  When I asked her to marry me, the answer was in my favor and she said yes immediately.  I put the ring on her finger and surprise, I picked the right size.  This was truly the happiest day of my life.  I had met the one person that truly loved me with no influence from anyone but her own heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment