Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Pre-Deputy Wife

     For being only twenty nine years old I have led a crazy adventurous life. I spent most of my childhood learning responsibility on my grandparents farm in Arizona and playing in the woods with my "always a child at heart" father. I was a good student and loved my after school sports. Horses were a huge part of my life, and in high school I became an exercise rider for a nearby racehorse farm. I spent many days speeding around the track with my hair flowing in the wind and my adrenaline shooting past threshold.        
     Later, I desired a new adventure. I took on BMX racing, and within a short time I was offered a college cycling scholarship to one of the best teams on the East Coast. While earning my Bachelors in Biology I raced hard winning 5 Individual National College Cycling Titles, along with many team titles. Once graduated, I moved back to the other side of the country and settled in Colorado where I continued to pursue my cycling career. Colorado opened many doors for new adventures. Colorado became my home.
     I settled into a small town in the foothills where I joined the local Volunteer Fire Department. Since than, I have become a certified EMT and Wildland Firefighter. Through my life experiences  it has become evident that my career must involve being outdoors in the mountains. As a child, my father would take me to the fire lookout towers where the views were never ending. Perhaps that was when my passion to fight wildland fires started.
     Now, I am a part of a very special wildland firefighting team. A small, tight-knit crew that knows how to get the job done, but have fun at the same time. The job itself is amazing, but the best part about it is my very supportive husband. His career allows him to have a better understanding of mine. There are times when I am sent to different parts of the country to fight fire, and he is home taking care of the family. I am so grateful I am able to continue chasing my dreams and adventures with his support. If you know me, there is no holding me down in one spot. My adventures are amazing, and I love sharing my stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment